header-menu


Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Candice Swanepoel and the Fantasy Bra

Photo Credit: Victoria's Secret & Getty Images

After much media buzz, it's safe to say that everyone obsessed with the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, knows that VS Angel Candice Swanepoel was chosen for the coveted role of Fantasy Bra wearer at this years show. It was only a few hours ago when the model strutted down the runway, following in the foot steps of last years Fantasy Bra alum, Alessandra Ambrosio . What's amazing is, she is wearing less than most looks on a runway ever, and she costs more than a full outfit. This years epic glittery lingerie is estimated to be worth $8 million. Oh and don't forget a really expensive bra must come with its very own belt for another $2 million. As gorgeous and artistically driven as this piece is, you won't catch me buying a bra for that price any time. Heck, I have a problem wearing bras now. My niece calls me Jennifer Aniston (she seems to have nipplitess on Friends a lot) because I constantly go commando...on my top half that is. I know I know this bra and all past VS Fantasy Bras are more for a museum than an actual body, but still, it would be nice to wear one of these just to walk around the house and feel awesome about yourself, not necessarily because of the price tag, but rather because, well, it's just so pretty.(girly voice) 

Photo Credit: Victoria's Secret & Getty Images
So exactly what is this years Fantasy Bra made of? Well, only 4,200 rubies, diamonds, and blue and yellow sapphires placed intricately in an 18 karat gold bustier of course. To finish off the look, a 52 karat pear shaped ruby lays in the middle hung by a diamond bow.  It also took 500 hours to create. That's one tedious arts and crafts project. It was all worth it in the end though, because Swanepoel mentioned to Good Morning America how she felt like a "queen" when walking down the runway. Told you it makes a girl feel fabulous.  I guess Marilyn Monroe was right when she sang that "Diamonds are a girl's best friend." After all, what best friend will hold your boobs up while also looking sparkly?                                                                                                                                                 Okay now that I am done saying nice things about it, I guess it is time to mention that as awesome as I think this bra looks I do feel they could have used the money they put into it for more constructive things, maybe donate to a charity, possibly one that will help those in the Philippines right now. I mean this is just an idea and would make this piece stand for something more than the famous reputation that precedes it. That being said, I am not going to complain and  make comments that are uneducated just because I don't agree with using so much money on a bra. I have seen enough of those type of hurtful comments on enough forums to last me a lifetime. That's just the downfall of being in the spotlight I guess. It always gives room for judgement, specifically online judgement. I am all for stating one's opinion, but what ever happened to doing it in a respectful manner? I guess manners have flown out the window faster than men's pants during this fashion show. Point is, although I think this $10 million lingerie ensemble could have been used for something else more productive, at the end of the day, it's still a work of art and deserves the recognition for the fact that is was done so beautifully. Seriously 500 hours!

Photo Credit: Victoria's Secret & Getty Images




No comments:

Post a Comment