header-menu


Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Haute Hands & Blonde Hair: Rising Illustrator Kendall D. Lock on Style Favorites, Prada, & Gaga

Photo Credit: Grace Ann Leadbeater 

It's rare for illustrators to get much attention in the fashion industry, but there is no shadow of a doubt that they should. After all, when fashion was just starting off in the media, via magazines, the now famous covers, were once all drawn. There was a time, where some of the biggest names including Vogue and Bazaar, began their careers on news stands, featuring hand drawn covers, instead of the less creative and redundant starlet faces encompassing them today. Then, names such as Eduardo Garcia Benito and later on, Andy Warhol, were the creme dela creme in the business of creating exciting and now iconic visuals. Today however, photography and computer generated graphics have taken over everything from magazine layouts, advertisements, and anything else from here to Never Never Land. One shouldn't fret though. Illustration hasn't exactly been erased just yet (pun intended).

Kendall D. Lock, founder of Kendall D. Lock Illustration, is an artist in today's computerized driven society, and she doesn't let that faze her one bit. Instead, like the Energizer Bunny, she keeps going, but in her case,with pencils in hand and imagination in mind. Kendall's creations remind everyone something that most have already forgotten; how it feels to look at hand drawn artwork, and be transcended into a world of pure fantasy. Sure, she may just be starting out, but from what she has drawn so far; it can be said that she has a bright future ahead of her, filled with pastels, sketch pads, and of course praise. 

"Garden Wedding Party"
Illustration has had a long history in the fashion industry, dominating Vogue covers in its earlier years, and have been used by designers for their creation process. What attracted you to a career in it? 

As an artist, I’m infatuated with beauty and femininity. I think when you pursue those things; fashion illustration is a natural progression.

Who are some people that inspire you as an illustrator? 

I recently saw a collection of Toulouse Lautrec works at the D’Orsay in Paris and my color palettes have become much more light-hearted. Audrey Kawasaki, Beth Cavener Stichter, and Hsiao-Ron Cheng are artists who create work I find highly provocative. Also, I think S/S 2014 has been an incredible season in fashion. Prabal Gurung and Ryan Lo for Fashion East and Prada blew me away.

 How has attending SCAD University helped your career thus far?

SCAD was a dream for me. I can’t put into words how much I admire every professor in the Illustration department. It’s rare to find a group of people who are so devoted to nurturing creativity. 

What are some of your upcoming projects?

Photo Credit: Grace Ann Leadbeater
Currently, I am in the beginning stages of designing and launching a new section of my website that will serve as a continually updated digital sketchbook. Sort of like a diary, but filled with small paintings, drawings and my process. I've always enjoyed seeing how different artists work, so I’d love to offer it as a pseudo-interactive feature. I have a few exciting collaborations coming up, but they’re top secret for now!

How much of your personal style goes into your illustrations? 

I think my illustrations are heavily influenced by my style. Art is a continuation of the artist; if I’m moved by it, my brain will draw it into the piece.

Would you ever consider making your designs into actual gowns? For example, your "Garden Party Wedding" illustration features a gorgeous white dress.

 I wish! Unfortunately, I have a sewing machine collecting dust in the bottom of my closet. I’m terrible with construction and practical design. I do collect vintage patterns as inspiration, though.

What is your ultimate dream for your career? 

To collaborate with a large fashion house. Illustrator James Jean worked with Prada a few years ago, and it’s something I think of when I feel too tired or lazy to go into the studio. “Golden Girls and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s or Prada? Drinks with friends or Prada?” Prada. The answer is always Prada.

How would you describe your personal style?

Definitely feminine. Sometimes dark, sometimes sweet. I usually go for black basics if I’m in the studio.

Where do you find the best steals for clothes and accessories?

I’m a big treasure hunter when it comes to fashion. I like the thrill of the chase! Estate sales, vintage shops, and thrift stores are essential. You can also find killer deals on eBay if you know what you want.

Photo Credit: Grace Ann Leadbeater

What are your favorite products to use for make up while working in the field and attending events?

I’m so into NARS cream blush right now! Penny Lane is a beautiful, natural color that gives my skin the perfect glow. And for a little added drama, I throw on false lashes like MAC’s #36 pair. Doe eyes are always in!

I saw that you made a poster for Lady Gaga's I-Tunes Festival Concert. 

That poster was actually an independent project of mine. I loved her references to Botticelli’s “Birth of Venus,” so I decided to run with the concept of Gaga’s career rebirth. It’s gotten an amazing reaction from her fans, so I've been pleased.

More From Kendall's Portfolio:


"Diana" From The Look Book

"Alexander McQueen Couture"

"Mugler Fall RTW 2013"

"Fashion Editorial"





No comments:

Post a Comment