header-menu


Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Taylor: Review of Jordan Taylor's Line (Part I)


They say that sometimes fashion is pain. Our society has given into the idea that we have to sacrifice comfort for style. I'm here to tell you that is as much of lie as that time they told us reality television is,well, real. Huh! In the clever words of Cher from Clueless, "As If!" We can definitely be chic and comfortable doing so. I found this to be quite true when I did my recent collaboration with Jordan Taylor.

When I received the email to check out their new line and to do a review, I was of course thrilled, but like any review or collaboration, I started off as a skeptic. I can't exactly go in goo goo eyed and ignore any potential faults. That wouldn't be fair to my readers. I am happy to say though, after going through several of their look books, and wearing one of their pieces, they knocked the skeptic right out of me. Jordan Taylor sent me a sample of my picking in exchange for doing a review and I couldn't wait to see it! After coming home from class, I found a package laying on my front porch, and ripped it open like a kid on Christmas morning. Actually, I'm still like that on Christmas. I didn't know what to expect, especially since things tend to look so much more glamorous online. Boy was I wrong! The minute I took it out of the plastic, my mom saw it and said "Wow, how pretty!" My thoughts exactly.

 I had picked out the "Flutter Sleeve V-Neck" in orange and purple, because of its fall hues. Coming in just above my knees, the tunic, which I ordered in a size medium, fit perfectly. By the way my height is 5'5 and weight is 120 pounds, and a size medium was perfection. It flowed really well and was nice and loose. My favorite aspect though, besides the fun print, was the material and how well made it is. The tunic is retailed at $74, but because of how impressively stitched and finished it is, I would stand behind it one hundred percent and say it is worth the price. I am a stickler pertaining to quality of clothes. It can be the cheapest dress or the most expensive, but if it is not well made, I'm not touching it within a ten foot pole. For instance, I have always wanted a green scarf from Henri Bendel, like the one from Confessions of a Shopaholic. When I finally found one at their store in New York, they were asking for $125 and the scarf wasn't even finished. The threading on both ends would easily unravel and I could already see that when I picked it up in the store. I laughed at their nerve, and walked away. I love love love Bendels, but I don't care who you are, you are not about to charge that amount for something that will fall apart in a couple of months. That's why when I discover something like Jordan Taylor, a hidden jem when it comes to beach cover up, I have to boast about it.

The material from the piece felt like soft chiffon against my skin and light as a feather. Plus, I like to call it "the everything tunic" because I can literally do anything in it. How did I test my theory? Well, I got a little Julie Andrews inspired, and ran, jumped, and danced on small hills, like a scene from the Sound of Music. How else can you test how loyal clothing is than acting out a musical number?

After, I concluded that fashion does not have to be painful and that their piece can be truly worn for anything, no matter how much you are going to do in it. If I had to pick one detail that I wasn't fond about though, I would have to say it was actually the flutter sleeves. Visually, they are lovely, and give the tunic an extra kick, but when moving around they can get a little frustrating. The access of fabric, from the sleeve, that should lay on the sides of my arms, almost always ended up underneath my arm pits, which is a pet peeve of mine. I had to keep moving them. That's the only down fall and even then, that's my preference, so it really depends on you whether that would even annoy you. If not, then this tunic is an awesome choice. Now, if you are indecisive because they look more like bathing suit cover ups, I can see where you are coming from, but guess what? I was like you and since I have worn one, they are meant for much more than just a beach day. The cover ups show on their website, and even the tunic I wore, may be see through, but that is an easy fix. To convert any of their pieces for cooler weather, you can wear some leggings and a tank top under neath. I wore a slip with mine because it was a warm fall day, but when it get's chillier I plan to pair it with my leather jacket, some leggings, and a big scarf.


Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra

Photo Credit: Raquel Alexandra



Special Note: In return for writing a review and collaborating with Jordan Taylor, they sent me a free sample of the tunic that I am seen wearing in these photos. Receiving a free sample in no way clouded judgement when making my review. My opinions are honest and of my own. Plus lying sucks! : )







No comments:

Post a Comment